February 10, 2012

Thought of the day

At a company I frequently visit, there is a woman who works at the entrance and hands out the tickets for valet parking. She's worked at her job for years. When I pulled up a couple of days ago, it was freezing outside, and she was all bundled up. Even so, when I got out of the car she greeted me effusively, as she always does. She called me "Sweetheart," she gave me a huge smile, and her energy lifted me up. As I was walking into the building, I heard her do the same thing for the next driver, and she sounded just as heartfelt. 

This is a woman who knows who she is, and why she's here. She adds value in the world. She doesn't for a moment let the limits of her job stand in her way.

I'm inspired by her. She reminds me that knowing why you're here, and who you want to be, isn't a part-time job. The challenge is to live out what you stand for, intentionally, in every moment. 

I fall short, frequently. Who doesn't? When that happens, my goal is to notice, as quickly as I can, to take responsibility for whatever I've done, and to make amends. I know why I'm here.

Excerpts from HBR post

No comments: